Before chicken soup was “for the soul”, it was prescribed as a home treatment for nearly everything from headaches to fatigue to the common cold and flu. Turns out there’s truth to this common folk remedy and your grandmother’s homemade chicken soup does, in fact, have medicinal value.
Today, bone broth has become the health elixir du jour. If you’re unfamiliar with bone broth, it’s what’s traditionally been called “stock”. Bone broth, or stock, is the base of your grandmother’s homemade chicken soup. But it can also be prepared without the meat, vegetables and seasonings using only the bones (chicken, turkey or beef) from a hormone-free grass fed animal.
Regardless of your cooking preference, bone broth is incredibly healthy due to its high amounts of easy-to-digest and easy-to-absorb minerals and nutrients.
The amazing health benefits of bone broth:
- Contains gelatin, a super-healer for digestive health
- High in sleep-promoting magnesium
- Rich in glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
- Shown to reduce the strength and duration of seasonal colds and viruses
- Contains minerals, nutrients and protein in an easy to absorb liquid form for increased energy
Buying and storing bone broth:
Whenever possible, choose a high quality organic or local hormone-free grass fed animal. And, the best-quality produce you can find.
Bone broth can be stored in your fridge for up to 4 days; or freeze it in batches for when you need it.
Quick serving ideas:
- Enjoy a warm cup of broth in cooler weather
- Prepare a chicken soup to combat the seasonal sniffles
- Use the extra broth in cooking, as a base for chicken dishes or risotto
Whether or not science has proven it, most of us do appreciate the comfort and relief of a warm bowl of chicken soup on a cold winter day or when you’re feeling miserably sick and in bed.
Your Simple Action Plan:
This healing elixir is inexpensive, easy to make, comforting and delicious. Enjoy a bowl of traditional chicken soup or trade in your green juice for a cup of broth to sip throughout the day.