According to Chinese Medicine, spring is the season to flush toxins from your body and cleanse your liver. Why? Because nature is already doing this!
These past few weeks the rain here in NY has whisked away the old and ushered in the new.
Your liver wants this too, but is often too overloaded with toxins from food, water and the environment. It becomes stagnant and sluggish, unable to do its job well.
Just like your garden, your liver needs some care.
The good news is that nature provides us with plenty of spring foods and herbs to support your liver and your body’s natural ability to detoxify.
5 Superstar Spring Foods That Love Your Liver:
- Dandelion Greens and all bitter greens are abundant in spring markets. They work to support your liver by stimulating the release of toxins through urine. I love to throw fresh dandelion into a morning smoothie with some fruit. Or if you’re really feeling sluggish, it’s also great as a tea.
- Asparagus helps to reduce swelling and bloat. It also has one of the highest concentration of glutathione, which helps cleanse the liver.
- Lemon Zest contains a phytonutrient called d-limonene that activates detox enzymes responsible for clearing toxins. Sprinkle it on salads or in smoothies.
- Daikon Radishes are a great soup or salad vegetable used in Chinese medicine for centuries for their toxin-purging properties. I love them straight from my spring garden with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables delivery a healthy dose of vitamins as they work to cleanse your body of everyday toxins. Broccoli is also loaded with phytochemicals that actually stimulate enzymes in the body to detoxify carcinogens before they damage cells.
Your liver is the largest internal organ in your body with many, many functions. It plays a key role in digestion and is the most important organ for detoxification.
This spring, support your liver in releasing the toxins that accumulate in fat cells during the colder winter months. A healthy liver is key to a harmonious life, free of stress and tension.
Simple Action Plan:
Give your liver the loving care it needs – food and rest. That’s what we’ll be doing in Clean: A Spring Detox! Together, let’s let go of old toxins that are slowing you down so you can feel slimmer, vibrantly alive and ready for summer.